This is a 40 hour, (8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.) position
Under general supervision from the Manager of South Chatham Village, performs custodial duties to include overall building and grounds maintenance and repair functions.
The Maintenance Custodian must agree and adhere to, the constitution and by-laws of the Christian Senior Citizens Home of Chatham. (see http://www.scvillage.net)
The successful applicant must be able to perform the following tasks:
· Possess good communication skills and have the ability and patience to deal with Senior
Citizens with a positive and caring attitude.
· Be a self-starter, perform daily duties with minimum supervision but must be a team player;
· Be a visionary in assessing the needs of the building and future repairs.
· Have a mechanical aptitude - be well versed in simple carpentry, plumbing repairs, minor
electrical repairs, cleaning equipment, have a good knowledge of operation a zero-turn riding
lawn mower, edger, trimmer and snow blowers in wintertime.
· Mows and fertilizes lawns, plants and maintains flower beds;
· Sets up tables and chairs in the Common Room to accommodate events,
· The successful applicant must also have the desire and take pride in keeping the facilities;
building and property, in a spotless condition. To that end follow a list of daily, weekly and
monthly duties, which include dusting, vacuuming, cleaning windows, scrubbing stair treads,
mopping floors, etc.
· Furthermore, the successful candidate, under the supervision of the manager, will be
responsible for refurbishing apartments when they are vacated including cleaning, patching,
sanding and washing walls, remove carpets, remove kitchens when called for plus painting and
do minor repairs.
· Be able to communicate and call in sub trades to do repairs beyond his ability;
· Being computer literate would be an asset.
· The employee must have through knowledge of hooking up TV’s DVD players, HD Cable
convertors and be able to program remote controls.
· The employee must also have a cursory knowledge of Wi-Fi Internet.
e.g. Finding access points on a computer and entering pass codes.
Education and Experience
· High School Diploma including technical classes
· Experience in custodial, building maintenance or general labor.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
· Knowledge of cleaning and waxing compounds, heating and ventilating equipment, lawn
mowers, irrigating systems, snow blowers, lawn and plant fertilizers and insecticides, floor
buffers and custodial equipment, and basic tools utilized in building maintenance;
· considerable knowledge of maintenance and repair work; thorough knowledge of proper
safety techniques and procedures.
· Skill in the operation of a variety of hand tools.
· Ability to understand and carry out routine oral and written instructions, make routine decisions
independently, sustain long periods of light to moderately heavy physical activity, and work
harmoniously with others.
TOOLS & EQUIPMENT USED:
· Floor buffers, steam cleaners, carpet cleaners, vacuum, mops, broom, dusting equipment and
various hand tools.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to reach with hands and arms, stand, talk or hear; walk; and use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls. The employee is regularly required to sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
· The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and the ability to adjust focus.
· The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
· While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts. The employee occasionally works in high, precarious places and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles, and toxic chemicals. The employee is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually a quite work environment.
· Starting date July 5, 2018 (unless negotiated differently)
· Last day the applications will be accepted is May 31, 2018 12:00 noon.
Send your resume with references to:
Manager, South Chatham Village
100-40 Elm Street
or: email the Manager at:
cell phone 519-784-8396
Based on resumes and references, we reserve the right to select who will be granted an interview.
If granted an interview, a compensation package will be explained during the interview.